Wednesday, 28 January 2009

2009 so far...

I just wondered how every one's new year has been so far? I hope you have been lucky and things have been riding smoothly for you all, here is a quick sum up of my 2009 so far.
All in all it has been pretty positive and good, may it continue! I'm attending Cognitive Behavioural Therapy (CBT) and it is an amazing positive experience and I have only had 3 sessions so far and it is already helping me. Basically what it does is help you manage to think differently and in my case more positively. I not only find it helpful but I am learning a lot about the way us humans think and it makes you question thoughts and challenge your thinking! I haven't got any diagnosis at the moment though but I have wide cocktail of eccentricities and idiosyncrasies (that is what I'm thinking of them as now and not that there is anything wrong with me like I thought before) My CBT guy says that he even sees doctors and politicians which made me feel better because I did feel weird that I was even having to go to see someone.

Since the CBT I managed to act in a short film which which is a big thing for me to get back into, I wouldn't have taken the challenge on for a long time before but im slowly getting that old confidence back.

Also I am looking forward to moving to Edinburgh with my boyfriend in March after my CBT finishes, we are both living at home again right now and live 2 hours away from each other so you can imagine how excited we are to be moving in together again, and to Edinburgh the most gorgeous city ever! I am looking forward to all the little boutiques and craft shops! it will widen my business opportunities too.

I also found out one of my best friends is expecting a baby and it is due on the 4th of September, 3 days after my birthday, I am so excited.

I have a good feeling about this year! the world doesn't seem as shit as usual and positive things are happening, I just hope you are all having a good year too!

3 comments:

  1. loads of my friends go to therapy, i think a lot of people do, and even more people would benefit from it, it's just that most people doesn't want to talk about it. it's sad that there has to be a stigma about it. i went to therapy for a year, and came out a different person. i'm so glad i went. i went there because of a severe depression that never seemed to end and came out with the diagnosis adhd .. not as i expected, it's been a bit of an eye-opener. cbt is fantastic, i try to monitor my thought patterns and it really helps.

    there's a book that i read while i went to therapy that i really enjoyed, and that made me understand ways of thinking a little better. it's kind of a hippie cbt thing. you might want to look it up, it's called "creative visualization" by shakti gawain.

    i've been to edinburgh several times, what a beautiful place, i totally understand that you're looking forward to moving there :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know it is sad there is a stigma attached but I'm glad it is getting better and the more people that speak about it the better too, I don't know what on earth diagnosis I will get it will be interesting. I will definitely check out that book it sounds really interesting I love to read books that help in anyway! Hey next time you come to Edinburgh you can come visit me :)

    That is really positive news that therapy helped you so much I think i am finally on the right track now after not getting help when it all started to spiral out of control back when i was 17!

    Do you have to take medication for you ADHD?

    ReplyDelete
  3. i'm getting medication soon, it will be some sort of stimulant, like ritalin. the first time i tried.. uh, "stimulants", it was like everything slowed down and i could breathe free.. instead of rushing from one thing to the other i could focus on little details. so yeah, i'm looking forward to medication! a lot of people are very negative towards medication; especially the people who have no need to take them.. they don't know what they're talking about. i've been on ssri's for a couple of years, it has helped me SO much. i've had negative experiences too, mainly with a drug called mirtazapine, but everyone is different and what works for some might not for others. (i still don't reccomend mirtazapine.. lol )

    like you, i've been unwell for years and years. i look back and think i should have asked for help sooner, but it never occured to me that how i was feeling was important. it takes a lot of courage to ask for help, but it's totally worth it! a diagnosis isn't scary, it's a key to making improvements in life :)

    oh and i'll let you know if i come to edinburgh, it would be nice to meet you!

    ReplyDelete

Leave me a comment

Blog Widget by LinkWithin